Annual Membership Meeting Committee
The Visual Effects Society's Annual Membership Meeting Committee is a standing committee, created by the Board, which is tasked with fulfilling of the Society's bylaw requirement to hold an annual meeting for the membership. This meeting represents the only official event in which the membership has the opportunity to provide feedback and input into the organization.
To that end, every AMM includes an open microphone portion that is available to any attending member in good standing, to allow them to voice their questions and comments and to initiate discussions with the participation of the Society's leadership. In addition, the AMM Committee seeks to utilize evolving communications tools on the web to allow greater participation and interaction from its worldwide membership via the internet.
VES Sections are urged to hold co-meetings, and a live streaming video of the main meeting is fed to the participating co-meeting locations. When possible, the live meeting is also to be made available as streaming video to any member with a login, a suitable web browser and a broadband internet connection.
This main meeting is also to be recorded on video so that it can later be made permanently accessible, along with past recorded meetings, to the entire membership as on-demand, streaming or downloadable media via the VES website.
At the meeting, the business of the Society is presented to the membership by the Chairman of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director, the Treasurer, and representatives of the Society's various Committees and Sections. These reports form a snapshot of the Society for the edification of its members and can be augmented with additional information available on the VES website both prior to and after the meeting, so that members can be better informed and prepared for participation in Society business. On years when voting is required of the membership, this voting can become an action item for the AMM.
In years when the VES Board of Directors chooses to honor a member with the Founder's Award, it is proudly presented at the AMM. When time permits, the AMM also features presentations, homages and legacy/technology demonstrations that honor our heritage and help to inform and inspire the membership.
The purpose of the archives committee is to preserve the history of our craft and our society by collecting materials and knowledge related to the industry and working with other organizations to promote the understanding of the visual effects art form.
- Build physical research library on-site at VES office by end of 2008
- Develop methodology to deliver research library benefit to memberships
- Continue oral history project
- Archiving of VES events
- Possible archives partnerships with other organizations.
This Awards program provides insight into and knowledge of the field of visual effects for peers, practitioners, students, and the industry. It is your chance to inform the world of what you do with our art and science. To challenge and inspire – as well as the new up and coming generation of visual effects artists – to step in, step up and imagine a new world!
- Plan, design and produce the Annual VES Awards show along with all the necessary graphics, programs, marketing, location sites, catering search, technical show production, etc.
- Accepting submissions online for the first time in VES history.
- Held nominating events in London, Bay Area, Australia, New York, New Zealand, Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver Sections of the VES concurrently with the nominating event in LA as part of the VES’ continuing commitment to involve the international visual effects community in all its activities.
- The submission rules have been split into 2 documents, Policies and Rules & Procedures, both available online.
- Implement new technologies to accomplish this event, which would allow more members to participate in the online view and vote.
The Benefits Committee is a standing committee charged with leveraging the membership of the Visual Effects Society for member benefits such as discounts and access to/for business services, industry publications, events, screenings and access to educational opportunities. The committee will also continue to explore prospects, track any and all developments in the area of healthcare or supplemental healthcare and regularly communicate to the membership as to all available benefits via the VES Web site, VES eBlasts, and by direct mail.
Business Labor and Law Committee
To develop fair, reasonable and beneficial standards for the VFX industry practices. And to encourage their acceptance and use amongst the membership and the VFX business community on a voluntary basis.
The VES Education Committee is dedicated to creating events that promote continuing education, professional development and enrichment for our members. Education and development are a life long process. We are here to provide tools and resources to help VES members advance their careers from a creative, business and social perspective.
Handbook Ad Hoc Committee
The intention of the Committee is to create and publish a handbook of visual effects under the VES brand. The book should have valuable information that applies to all levels of our field, including but not limited to techniques and technical approaches.
The Membership Committee is a permanent standing committee of the Society, as specified in the by-laws. The Membership Committee’s primary purpose is to review applicants for membership, and make recommendations to the VES Board of Directors regarding admission of the applicants to the society. The Board of Directors retains the rights to admit or reject applicants into the society.
- Twice-yearly review of applicants resulting in recommendations to the Board of Directors.
- Monitoring and updating the application forms and procedures.
- Monitoring and maintaining the endorsement guidelines
- Monitoring and making recommendations for membership admission requirements and procedures.
- Monitoring the society’s desire for growth, as applied to membership count and upcoming applications.
- Monitoring the “welcome package” – what the new member receives upon acceptance – recommending any changes, updates, or improvements that might be needed or desired.
Outreach Committee Statement of Purpose
1) To help qualified and interested VFX professionals, in regions where there are few or no members, to become VES Members by helping them secure the required endorsements from current VES Members.
2) To help young growing regions, that aspire to become VES Sections, to grow to reach the necessary membership numbers to do so .
3) To reach out to the Animation and Gaming professionals everywhere to make them aware of the value we place on them, how we see them to be of the same stuff as our current VFX membership and to show them how the VES is as relevant to them as all the other crafts we already represent.
Chair: Tim McGovern
The Visual Effects Society Technology Committee exists to establish industry best practices to enable VFX clients and vendors to collaborate more efficiently. The Technology Committee works on several projects at a time and selects projects that are outward facing, increase the visibility of the VES, and items we can accomplish in roughly a 12 month time-frame.
VES Summit Committee
The Vision Committee is committed to exploring artistic, technical and business frontiers to find creative and commercial opportunities for VES members in the evolving future of entertainment and beyond.