VES miniFest 2010
Billy Wilder Theater/Hammer Museum
10899 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Admission is free but you must RSVP to each Panel you’d like to attend
11:30am – 1:00pm:Prosthetic Character Work in the Digital Age
Contrary to what some might think, the craft of on-set character creation through the use of prosthetic makeup, animatronics and puppeteering is alive and well in this increasingly-digital age, and in fact can be a key to the success of a digital character. Its practitioners --designers, fabricators and performers-- and their digital compatriots are learning how to collaborate both on and off the set to better bring filmmakers' visions to life.
A panel of experienced and award-winning experts --with such films as "Aliens", "Hellboy", "Death Becomes Her" and "The Chronicles of Narnia" between them-- will help to show VFX producers and digital artists the value of this kind of cooperation and to encourage productions to factor in more on-set consideration by showing them how to approach the collaboration between practical and digital work when it comes to characters, and to discuss how on-set work can help the digital character side (and vice versa) and allow both techniques to capitalize on their respective strengths.
1:00pm - 2:00pm: Lunch break
2:00pm - 5:00pm: Sneak Peek
Several groups of VES Awards Nominees will have the opportunity to present their nominated submissions and answer questions before an audience of visual effects practitioners, students, and the general public. You won’t want to miss this incredible presentation that includes “befores and afters” and answers the question: How did they do that?
Who You Gonna Call? Well, if you’re trying to create a variety of spooks, ghosts, and gremlins for the hit film "Ghostbusters", you would have called up Richard Edlund and BOSS Films. This one night only event will included a panel of BOSS Film vets Richard Edlund, John Bruno, Mark Stetson, (and others!), and a host of clips, artwork, props, and a selection of behind the scenes photos from the making of the film.
- VES Forum
Recent blog posts
- iPad, Smartphone, Kinect, and Social Media Controlled Architectural Projection.
- SIGGRAPH reveals some Emerging Technologies highlights for Vancouver.
- OpenFrameworks Is an Open Source C++ Toolkit for Creative Coding.
- Glasses-Free 3D Display Using Front-Facing Camera and Head Tracking
- C++ Using OpenFrameworks, wxWidgets, and Processing Used in Tron:Legacy
- Augmented Reality – coming soon to a contact lens near you
- Augmented Reality and Public Art
- Film Uses Audience's Smart Phones To Solve Mystery
- George Lucas, James Cameron and Jeffrey Katzenberg to Do CinemaCon Panel Together.
- Junkyard Jumbotron Fuses Multiple Displays Into Single Device.
Saturday, 15 March 2014 (All day)
Saturday, 15 March 2014 - 12:30pm - 4:00pm
Monday, 15 September 2014 (All day)