George Miller Receives VES Honorary Membership
Miller receives VES award
[Thu 10/06/2010 11:39:29]
By Brendan Swift
Dr George Miller has become the first non-US citizen to be granted the Visual Effects Society's honorary member status for his long-standing contribution to the industry.
The filmmaker was presented with the award by the Australian VES chapter at Sydney's Australian Film Radio and Televison School last night in front of a crowd of about 40 industry leaders.
Miller, who is currently completing the animated Happy Feet 2 and planning the fourth Mad Max instalment, said film represented an intersection between art and science.
“All of our kind of secular iconology … would not exist without visual effects,” he said. “We’re all in search of meaning through story.”
LA-based VES chairman Jeffrey A. Okun, via a video message, praised Miller for his ability to use visual effects to drive the story rather than to create a spectacle for its own sake.
The US-based Visual Effects Society changed its constitution to allow international VES sections to nominate candidates after the Australian chapter first suggested Miller receive the accolade.
He joins seven legends of the visual effects industry who have previously received the award: John Dykstra (2007), George Lucas (2007), Douglas Trumbull (2002), Peter Ellenshaw (1998), Linwood Dunn (1998), Albert Whitlock (1998) and Ray Harryhausen (1998).
- VES Forum
Recent blog posts
- iPad, Smartphone, Kinect, and Social Media Controlled Architectural Projection.
- SIGGRAPH reveals some Emerging Technologies highlights for Vancouver.
- OpenFrameworks Is an Open Source C++ Toolkit for Creative Coding.
- Glasses-Free 3D Display Using Front-Facing Camera and Head Tracking
- C++ Using OpenFrameworks, wxWidgets, and Processing Used in Tron:Legacy
- Augmented Reality – coming soon to a contact lens near you
- Augmented Reality and Public Art
- Film Uses Audience's Smart Phones To Solve Mystery
- George Lucas, James Cameron and Jeffrey Katzenberg to Do CinemaCon Panel Together.
- Junkyard Jumbotron Fuses Multiple Displays Into Single Device.
Wednesday, 23 April 2014 - 4:00pm - 8:45pm
Saturday, 24 May 2014 - 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday, 15 September 2014 (All day)