Event - Understanding Unions.... (Los Angeles)
Understanding Unions: The Good, The Bad &
Unknown Of Forming A Visual Effects
Collective Bargaining Organization
Visual Effects remains one of the few segments of the North American entertainment industry that is not unionized. There has been a lot of discussion on this across the industry on both sides of the issue. The Visual Effects Society is providing an opportunity to find out first-hand what is real and what is false about the idea of what a union and collective bargaining agreement can and cannot do.
Join us on Saturday, December 1, 2012, 9:30AM to 12:00PM at the L.A. Film School, as VES presents a panel of industry leaders who have varying opinions on the topic, providing a balanced perspective to attendees.
Topics under consideration include:
- Would the formation of a union better the lot of the VFX worker and the status and health of VFX companies in North America?
- Is the union an unwieldy structure that would create additional burdens on North American companies and workers in the face of increasing global competition?
- How would the formation of a union affect run-away production?
- Can a union supply better and more cost effective health and pension coverage than a VFX company?
- Will the producers accept the union as the VFX collective bargaining unit?
- Will a union regulate work hours better?
- What does a union really do?
Join us on December 1 as six industry leaders discuss these important issues.
|Scott Dougherty - Executive Producer / Co-Owner, Furious FX, Inc.
Building off a career of production management and art department work for feature films, Scott Dougherty brings over 19 years of effects-specific knowledge as Executive Producer and Co-Owner of Furious FX, Inc in Burbank. For a decade he worked within and helped design the visual effects pipeline at Cinesite Hollywood...Full Bio
|Steven J Kaplan - Organizer for The Animation Guild, Local 839 IATSE
Steve started his Organizers career in 2010 taking the job with The Animation Guild to help organize the animation and visual effects fields. As the Guild’s organizer, Steve interfaces with 839 members in many capacities. Steve has been instrumental in...Full Bio
|Ellen Shadur - Attorney at Baker Hostetler
Ellen Shadur represents private and public entities in labor and employment matters. Her traditional labor practice includes representation of employers in collective bargaining, grievance arbitrations and unfair labor practice proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board and the California Public Employment...Full Bio
John Parenteau - Managing Director
Bill Taylor, ASC, VES
Marty Shindler - CEO,The Shindler Perspective
Please RSVP below
Saturday, December 1, 2012 from 9:30AM to 12:00PM
Los Angeles Film School Theater
6363 Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90028
- VES Forum
Recent blog posts
- iPad, Smartphone, Kinect, and Social Media Controlled Architectural Projection.
- SIGGRAPH reveals some Emerging Technologies highlights for Vancouver.
- OpenFrameworks Is an Open Source C++ Toolkit for Creative Coding.
- Glasses-Free 3D Display Using Front-Facing Camera and Head Tracking
- C++ Using OpenFrameworks, wxWidgets, and Processing Used in Tron:Legacy
- Augmented Reality – coming soon to a contact lens near you
- Augmented Reality and Public Art
- Film Uses Audience's Smart Phones To Solve Mystery
- George Lucas, James Cameron and Jeffrey Katzenberg to Do CinemaCon Panel Together.
- Junkyard Jumbotron Fuses Multiple Displays Into Single Device.
Saturday, 15 March 2014 (All day)
Saturday, 15 March 2014 - 12:30pm - 4:00pm
Monday, 15 September 2014 (All day)